Monday, March 11, 2013

First Days if Demo

After Parker and I did some initial demolition of the baseboards and other basics we were ready to get started with the big stuff. The bathroom vanity being the big stuff. This vanity looks nice, but it is super impractical. It had to go, but we also want to try and sell the parts so we were doing our best to save the materials.

First we pulled it out and saw that the water shut off valves had been pulled off. So turning off the water to remove the whole unit was not going to be as easy as we had thought. Here is why. In order to remove the vanity from the wall, we had to detach the faucet from the wall. In order to detach the faucet you have to turn off the water. In order to turn off the water we had to be able to get behind the vanity. And around and around we went.

Finally after a few hours of fussing around with everything we deduced that we were going to have to shut off the water to the house from the street. We borrowed a water key from a friend and then found our water access opening on the street. Problem there is that the nob to turn the water off has been broken off. So we called around and found out we can turn the water off through he city access in another hole. So we did. And we then replaced the water shut off vales! Parker did a great job. Clearly he has grown in his plumbing skills.

So then we ripped out the vanity and moved it into the garage. It is listed on Craigslist and we are hopping to make enough to buy our new vanity with it. We are on  a tight budget here people. Here is a great shot of Parker removing his first door jam. We thought that was hard. Little did we know how hard it was going to be to get the fiberglass shower out of the bathroom! UGH!!!! More on that soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment