Okay so now we are ready to tile.
We have had several issues come up with the tile situation and I want to cover some of them because I think they will help you all understand the feat that it is that we finished this all by ourselves.
First, houses are not built square. So our walls are not plumb. That is an issue when you are tiling a corner! Especially when tiling a corner with small tiles like our chose white subway tiles. Joy. Another challenge. By the way the tiles are from Lowes. $.22 a tile. Pretty good price and we got 5% off with our consumer credit card from there. So that made it cheaper than anywhere else in town.
So we first spent about 5 days laying out the tile on the walls. I bet you many of those DIY blogs don't tell you about that process. No matter what we did we ended up with weird cuts on the end of the walls and in the corner. I wont make your brain hurt with the math but let's just say it was not easy.
Here you can see we began to lay out the tile the way we wanted it. We taped up each tile in the section to see how it would look. Here is what we started with. This about when I realized that the niche, although nice was going to be a pain.
We will have spacing that is slightly off in the corner but not by much. We just had to think outside the box and I think we did a good job mitigating any huge issues.